- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and thickly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 12 to 16 chanterelles, cleaned, trimmed and cut in half or quarters lengthwise
- 1 semi-ripe pear, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh thyme, sage and rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup hard pear or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- Dried cranberries and chopped herbs, for garnish
Heat a heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter and shallot slices. Sauté the shallots for about 1 minute and add the chanterelles. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms and shallots are starting to become tender and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
Add the pears, herbs, salt and a generous amount of ground pepper. Sauté this mixture for 2 minutes.
Add the pear cider and cook until most of the liquid has reduced, about 2 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and sherry vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with dried cranberries and additional chopped herbs.