- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional add-ins (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups light beer
Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt (when measuring the flours, lightly spoon into cups). Stir in additions, if desired.
Add beer and stir just until the mixture is moistened. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding to cool completely on the rack.
- 2 cloves garlic, grated, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup slivered chives or scallions
- 3/4 cup each dried cranberries and chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1 teaspoon each dried sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 cup chopped pitted black or kalamata olives and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese