- 1 head Napa cabbage (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
Cut cabbage in quarters and remove cores. Slice leaves into 1-inch squares. Place cabbage in a large pot with salt and water; mix well. Cook over medium heat until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse several times under cool water; dry well.
Whisk together vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, chili paste and fish sauce.
Combine cabbage, green onions, carrots and dressing in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Place in a clean glass jar or dish with a lid and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Use within 10 days.