- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) pork shoulder
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (optional)
- Hamburger buns or sliders, for serving (optional)
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Rub into pork shoulder, wrap tightly and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
Add onions and garlic to a slow cooker. Place marinated pork shoulder on top and pour broth around. Cook on High for 6 to 8 hours or on Low for 8 to 10, until fork tender.
Carefully remove pork from the slow cooker and shred meat with two forks. Return meat to the slow cooker, add barbecue sauce and mix well. Heat on low for 30 to 45 minutes to blend flavors and heat through. Serve on sliders.