- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 leeks (about 1 pound), white and light green parts, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 to 8 cups water, vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heavy cream or butter (see note)
- Minced parsley or chives, for garnish
Heat a 3- to 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and leeks; sauté until leeks begin to turn translucent. Add potatoes, water or stock, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
You may purée the soup or leave it chunky. Add a dollop of cream or butter just before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, chives and pepper, to taste.
Sour cream, yogurt, crème fraîche or coconut milk may be used instead of butter or cream.