- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 ounces whole-wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup bite-sized chopped asparagus
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Turn off the heat and add sun-dried tomatoes. Let sit for 30 minutes. Remove tomatoes and slice, reserving water.
Bring 4 to 6 quarts fresh water to a boil in a large pot set over high heat. Add pasta and cook until al denté, according to package directions, 8 to 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté portobello and crimini mushrooms until browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 additional minute. Add sun-dried tomato water and cook over medium-low heat until sauce has reduced and thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
About 4 minutes before serving, stir in sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus, oregano and basil and continue to cook over medium-low heat. Stir in cooked pasta. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Drizzle with remaining olive oil and serve.
Pass grated Parmesan or crumbled feta on the side, if you like.