- Butter and flour, for the pan
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, divided
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
Combine honey and applesauce in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla; whisk until well combined.
In a separate bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir into honey mixture. Chop half the pecans and fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and top with remaining pecan halves.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.