- Serves: 6
- Ingredient Notes: Vegetarian, Vegan, Corn-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Peanut-free, Tree nut-free
- 2 cups spelt berries
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds extra firm tofu
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 to 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
Bring spelt berries and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until spelt berries are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
Mix together tamari, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, cayenne, sesame oil and olive oil until sauce is blended.
Preheat oven to 325° F. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes. Pour sauce over tofu and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and cook for another 15 minutes, or until browned and cooked. Cool sauce and tofu, then pour over spelt.
Julienne red pepper by slicing it into thin matchsticks, each about 2 inches long. Toss remaining ingredients with the spelt-tofu mixture.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member