- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/4 cups dried red lentils
- 12 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin and coriander until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Sort and rinse lentils and add to pot along with tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Before serving, stir in lemon juice, cilantro and salt.