- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (12-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine
In a large soup pot, sauté ground beef in oil over medium heat until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Add onions, celery, carrots, green peppers, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and chili powder. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes, kidney beans, water, tomato sauce and red wine. Bring to a simmer until heated through. Adjust salt to taste.