- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 ounces Parmesan rind
- Water, to cover
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
In large soup pot, sauté ground beef in oil over medium heat until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and spices and cook for 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients (except basil); cook over low heat for 1 hour. Remove Parmesan rind and add basil before serving.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member