- 1 onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 pound crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups bread cubes
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until hot. Sauté onions, celery and sage in 2 tablespoons oil until soft, about 2 minutes. Cool.
Sauté mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil until browned.
In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, apples, onion-celery mixture, mushrooms and parsley.
Heat vegetable stock with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour hot liquid over stuffing mix and combine thoroughly.
Lightly oil a casserole pan and tightly pack stuffing so that it slightly mounds over the pan. Cover tightly with parchment paper and then aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and parchment and then brown the top for 5 to 10 minutes.