- 3 pounds parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound russet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Cover parsnips and potatoes with cold water by 1 inch in a 6- to 8-quart pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, partially covered. Reduce heat and simmer vegetables, partially covered, until very tender but not falling apart, 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring cream, butter, smoked paprika and remaining 2 teaspoons salt to a simmer in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat. Drain vegetables in a colander. Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until desired creaminess.