- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1 cup shredded parsnips (2 or 3 medium)
- 1 apple – peeled, cored and grated
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan. Place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom, grease the parchment and dust with flour. Tap out excess flour.
In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt; set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugars, yogurt and oil until smooth. Gently mix egg mixture into flour mixture; fold in parsnips, apples and walnuts.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by beating together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and maple syrup, beating until combined. Cover and chill at least 20 minutes. Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member