- 4 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup unbleached white or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Toss rhubarb with 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Arrange rhubarb in an 8-inch square casserole dish. (You may dot this with a little butter if you like!)
Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until it is the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Beat egg and vanilla into milk and add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
Drop the batter onto the fruit. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.