- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons red or brown miso
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece lemongrass, smashed
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, porcini, etc.), chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
Mix together mirin, miso and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, lemongrass, eggplant, peppers and zucchini and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and miso mixture; mix well. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Remove lid and cook an additional 10 minutes to thicken sauce.