- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small cucumber - cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced, or 1 Persian cucumber, sliced; or 1/2 cup sliced or diced celery (from the inner heart)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (about 12 olives)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces mixed spring salad greens, baby spinach, arugula or a combination
Place quinoa in a strainer and rinse several times with cold water. Place in a saucepan with water and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until grains show a thread-like spiral and water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, remove the lid and place a dish towel over the pan. Return the lid to the pan and let sit for 10 minutes or longer undisturbed. Transfer to a salad bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
Add cucumbers, olives, avocado, mint, parsley and feta to the bowl.
Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, oil and buttermilk. If using yogurt, thin out if desired with 1 tablespoon of water. Season with pepper.
Just before serving, toss lettuce with 3 tablespoons dressing. Toss quinoa mixture with remaining dressing. Toss together greens and quinoa mixture.
You can assemble the salad up to a day ahead but do not toss with the dressing until shortly before serving.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member