- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
Place garlic cloves and thyme in a saucepan. Cover with 1/2 cup olive oil and cook over medium-low heat. Gently simmer until garlic is lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes fall apart, 30 to 35 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup olive oil and oregano. Remove thyme stems and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
The sauce should have a broken, oily appearance.
Adding 1/2 of the olive oil at the beginning and 1/2 at the end allows the full flavor to come through after the cooking process.