- 4 cups regular or thick-rolled oats
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons safflower or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup Thompson raisins
Preheat oven to 325° F with an oven rack in the center position. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Blend maple syrup, oil and almond extract in a small bowl, then pour mixture over dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly using hands or two rubber spatulas. (Hint: if using hands, wet them first.)
Spread mixture thinly on baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stir well and return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until light, toasty brown — not overly toasted.
Transfer hot cereal back to the large bowl, immediately add raisins and toss well so they absorb the heat of the cereal and plump nicely. Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.