- 1 pound whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Add cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cheeses until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Stir reserved macaroni and cauliflower into cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
For a crispy-topped macaroni and cheese, preheat oven to 400° F. Transfer macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.