- Carcass and leftover meat from a roasted turkey, chopped into sections
- 2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, chopped, skin left on
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place turkey carcass in a large soup pot and add water. Add onions, celery, carrots and herbs. Bring pot to a simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the surface, and cook for 1 hour.
Strain stock, pressing hard on meat and vegetables to squeeze out the juices. Season with salt and pepper.
I like to use fresh herbs in my stock. If you prefer to use dried herbs, which are perfectly fine, use the following increments: 1 tablespoon each dried sage, rosemary and thyme plus 2 sprigs fresh parsley.