- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil (canola, ghee, almond, avocado, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups peeled, chopped butternut squash or pumpkin (1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mustard, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add ginger. Sauté for 1 minute.
Add chopped squash or pumpkin and turmeric. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add salt, cayenne, coriander and water. Cook, covered, over medium heat, for 10 minutes. Add tamarind paste and sugar. Mix well and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes.