For the meatballs
- Oil, for baking
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 thinly sliced green cabbage
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 cups thinly sliced lacinato kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
To make the meatballs
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using a broad spatula or wooden spoon, mix together until egg and breadcrumbs are well blended. Form the mixture into balls about 3/4-inch in diameter. As you roll them, place meatballs on the prepared baking sheet so they don’t touch. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
To make the soup
While meatballs are baking, heat oil in a soup pot set over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and cabbage; sauté until soft, about 7 minutes. Add broth and wine. Bring to a low boil and add beans and sliced kale; cook for 10 minutes. Add meatballs and cook until they’re hot. Stir in basil and parsley and remove from the heat. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member