- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 mild or hot Italian sausage links
- 4 sandwich rolls
Warm oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add onions and cook until well caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in garlic, peppers and red pepper flakes; cook for 8 minutes, until peppers begin to soften. Add tomatoes with their juice. Cook until the mixture becomes like a thick, chunky sauce, about 15 minutes. Stir in herbs, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm while you grill sausages.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Lightly oil grill grates. Add sausages and cook, turning often, until they’re nicely charred and hot throughout, about 10 minutes. During the last minute of cooking, toast rolls on the grill.
Pile each roll with a sausage and a scoop of sauce. Serve hot.