- High-heat oil such as canola, safflower or sunflower oil, for frying
- 2 cups dried chickpeas plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, soaked for 10 to 12 hours
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 6 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 small onion, finely minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Place a cooling rack lined with paper towels on top of a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
To the bowl of a food processor add the chickpeas, herbs and garlic. Pulse the mixture until it is fully combined.
In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea mixture with the minced onion and fold to combine. Add the toasted spices and kosher salt, and mix gently to combine. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt, spices or fresh herbs to taste. There is no wrong amount!
Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour to make it easier to shape the patties (optional). Right before you want to start forming your patties, mix in the sesame seeds and the baking powder.
Fill a large Dutch oven 3 inches up the side with high-heat oil and heat to 325° F. While the oil is heating, prepare the patties.
Use your portioning scoop to create even-size balls and flatten into 1/2-inch-thick patties. If time allows, transfer to the freezer to chill for another 20 to 30 minutes before cooking.
Fried falafel: Working in batches, carefully add the prepared patties to the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry the patties until they are golden-brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Once fried, carefully transfer the patties to the paper-towel-lined cooling rack. Let the patties set 1 to 2 minutes before serving.
Baked falafel: Preheat oven to 350° F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet lightly with olive oil. Lightly brush the falafel patties with olive oil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member