- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup red or green seedless grapes, washed and stemmed
- 1/2 pound fresh figs, cut into quarters (may substitute fresh plums if not available)
Cut a slit in each chicken breast to form a pocket. Divide cheese into 4 portions and tuck one in each of the pockets. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle a little oil over each. At this point, you may refrigerate the chicken for up to 4 hours.
Heat remaining olive oil in a heavy pan. Add chicken and cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until done through. Do not overcook. Remove chicken from the pan and turn heat to medium-high. Add leeks and pine nuts and stir for a minute or so. Add wine, vinegar, syrup and cream. Allow to simmer and reduce for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in grapes and figs and cook for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide sauce between 4 large plates, covering the entire surface of the plate. Cut each breast diagonally into 3 pieces. Fan one breast each on top of the sauced plates.