- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Prepared horseradish or hot sauce, to taste
- Vodka, gin or beer, to taste (optional)
- Sliced dill pickles, lemon wedges and celery ribs, for garnish
Add tomatoes, garlic and a pinch of salt to a food processor; puree until smooth. Strain puree through a food mill or fine strainer, discarding solids. Mix in lemon juice, pickle juice, Worcestershire, celery salt and horseradish or hot sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill at least 2 hours.
To serve, pour tomato mixture over ice and add desired amount of vodka, gin or beer. Garnish with pickles, lemon wedges and celery ribs.
For a beer-based bloody mary, use your favorite IPA or lager. Use your favorite heirloom tomatoes when in season.