- 2 ounces maifun or vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Splash of fish sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 6 brown or white rice spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cooked shrimp
- 2 leaves lettuce, cut into pieces
- 12 whole mint leaves
- 12 whole basil leaves
Soak rice noodles in hot water until soft and pliable, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Whisk together hoisin sauce, lime zest, lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro leaves in a bowl; set aside.
Fill a large baking dish with warm water. Soak one spring roll wrapper in the water until pliable, 5 to 15 seconds. Remove the wrapper to a clean, dry surface. Place some rice noodles, carrots, cucumbers and shrimp on the lower third of the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with a piece of lettuce, 2 mint leaves and 2 basil leaves.
Bring the bottom edge of the spring roll up and over the filling and snugly start to roll it up. Tuck in the sides (like a burrito) and continue rolling until completely wrapped. Repeat with the remaining rolls. Cover rolls with a moist towel while you finish the rest.
Cut the rolls in half on the diagonal and serve with the Lime Hoisin Sauce.