- 1 pound fava bean pods
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 radishes, grated or cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pita or flat bread
- Olives (we used green and black Cerignola on the show)
- Feta cheese
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red bell peppers
- Lemon wedges
Shuck fava beans from the pods. Cook in boiling, salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until the inside of the bean is tender. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Pop the soft inner flesh from beans into a small bowl.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine fava beans, garbanzo beans, garlic, tahini, salt and lemon juice. Pulse a few times. Add olive oil and puree to a smooth paste. (If it is a little dry, add more olive oil.) Adjust seasoning to your taste with more salt or lemon juice.
Serve with warm pita and radish salad and garnish with bright accompaniments.
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and chill.