- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus a little for garnish
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 4 ounces diced pancetta or bacon
- 1/2 cup white wine or dry sherry
- 3 pounds fava beans in their pods, shelled
- 3/4 cup water
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 ounces shaved or grated Pecorino Romano
Preheat pressure cooker over medium heat (or set your pressure cooker to brown). Add olive oil, shallots and pancetta. Cook until the pancetta is crisp and browned.
Add the wine, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine has almost completely evaporated, then add the fava beans and water.
Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn up the heat to high (or set the pressure cooker to high). When the cooker reaches pressure, reduce the heat to the lowest setting that maintains pressure. Set a timer for 6 minutes.
When the time is up, use the quick release valve to reduce the pressure and open the cooker.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and garnish with parsley and pecorino. Serve warm or at room temperature.