- 2 cups emmer farro
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 sachet (thyme sprigs, bay leaf, crushed garlic clove and peppercorns wrapped in cheesecloth)
- 3 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups celery, cut into large bias cuts
- 1 leek cut into 1/2-inch rounds
Preheat oven to 450º F.
Place farro in a stock pot with water, onions, carrots, salt and sachet. Cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Strain and remove vegetables and sachet.
While farro is cooking, toss butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet with plenty of space between pieces. Repeat with celery and leeks. It’s preferable to roast the vegetables separately. Roast squash until is just barely tender and has browned a little. The celery and leeks should be slightly crisp and slightly browned.
Mix roasted vegetables and farro. Reheat in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes to desired temperature and serve immediately.