- 2 pounds eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Flatbread, crackers and vegetable sticks, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Brush cut side of eggplant with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven, cut side down, until very tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Let cool and then scoop out pulp, discarding skins.
Add eggplant pulp, oil, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor. Puree until smooth. Fold in tomato, parsley and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as a dip alongside flatbread, crackers or vegetable sticks, or spread onto sandwiches or burgers.
For a smokier flavor, grill eggplants over medium heat, turning occasionally, until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.