- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, hard boiled (see note)
- Fresh chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Naan or cooked basmati rice, for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and onions, stirring, until onions turn golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cloves, cardamom, turmeric, coriander and cinnamon; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add tomatoes and water; reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, until sauce thickens slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in yogurt, salt and pepper.
Remove egg shells and slit each egg down the middle, without cutting completely in half. Gently place in the sauce, adding a little bit of water if the sauce is too thick (the sauce should look like a thick gravy). Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot with naan or rice.
To hard boil eggs, place eggs in a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Cover and remove from the heat; let sit for 10 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water and let cool at least 1 minute.