- 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Cut roast in half or to fit your slow cooker. Combine sugar and spices and rub into each piece of meat, then place in the slow cooker. Pour broth over meat. Set slow cooker to low and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 hours, or until the roast is fork tender. Limit peeking beneath the lid, to maintain heat.
When done, remove the roast to a cutting board. Pull apart with forks or chop fine with a cleaver.
- Serve on warm, soft rolls with BBQ sauce or top with fresh cole slaw, with a side of baked beans or potato salad.
- Tuck into corn tortillas with cilantro, sour cream and salsa for tacos.
- Tuck into flour tortillas and roll into burritos with spicy black beans and Spanish rice.
- Serve atop mixed greens and sliced seasonal vegetables for a savory salad.