- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, grated
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Stir in mustard and cumin seeds, frying the spices until they begin to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in onions and cook until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with turmeric and coriander.
Mix in eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until softened, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes to thicken juices; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member