- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced into small pieces
- 1 pound wild mushrooms (morels, boletus, chantrelles, whatever is available), cleaned and sliced
- Splash of vermouth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for brushing on crostini
- 1 baguette, sliced 1/2-inch thick
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add butter, shallots and pancetta. Cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms to the pan; raise the heat and brown lightly, about 2 minutes. Add a splash of vermouth and scrape up any browned bits. Add thyme and parsley and cook 1 more minute. (If mushrooms are very dry, add some water to the pan to avoid sticking.) Season with salt and pepper, to taste. (Remember that pancetta is salty.)
Heat a broiler or grill. Lightly brush olive oil onto sliced bread and cook under the broiler or grill until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Top each crostini with some mushroom mixture.