- 1 pound potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks (any variety)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons oil, for frying
- Organic Honeycrisp Applesauce, for serving
Place potatoes in a pot of boiling, salted water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well.
Transfer cooked potatoes to a bowl. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper. “Smash” the potato mixture with a masher or spoon, until all elements are blended. Add a little extra milk if potatoes are too dry. You may eat a bunch of these now (because who could resist?) but save yourself 2 cups for the pancakes. You can make the potatoes up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Mix potatoes with eggs, green onions and parsley until well blended. In a heavy sauté pan, heat oil and drop the potato mixture in pancake-sized portions (as large or as small as you like) into the hot oil. Cook about 3 minutes on one side or until golden, then flip and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes.
Served piping hot with Organic Honeycrisp Applesauce.