- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, such as porcini and shiitake
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea kelp powder (optional, but it adds a delicious flavor and minerals)
- 1 pound silken tofu
- 1 bay leaf
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh lemon juice
Add olive oil to a large skillet. Sauté onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add fresh crimini mushrooms and celery and sauté until mushrooms are quite soft.
Rehydrate dried mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms and chop, reserving liquid for the soup. (Strain out any sandy sediment.)
Deglaze pan with red wine. Add chopped rehydrated mushrooms and soaking liquid, and cook down for 5 minutes.
Blend together mushroom broth, sea kelp powder and tofu. Add, with bay leaf, to cooked mushrooms and allow flavors to marry, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaf before serving, and add fresh thyme and a squeeze of lemon juice.
This soup freezes well without the tofu.