- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea or kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
Combine cornmeal, flour, water, cheese, butter, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture forms a ball (or mix by hand). Remove from the processor and cover in plastic wrap. Let rest 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Divide dough into 4 portions, covering the pieces you are not working with in plastic wrap.
Lightly dust a work surface and roll out dough to 1/8-inch-thick. Sprinkle the surface with thyme and remaining salt. Gently roll dough 2 or 3 more times to embed toppings. Cut crackers into desired shapes or size. Try using a chef’s knife, wavy-edge pastry cutter, pizza cutter or cookie cutters.
Place crackers on a baking sheet and bake until the edges turn golden and crisp, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely; store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.