- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or unbleached cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (see note)
- 1 pound bananas, peeled (2 to 3 bananas)
- About 4 cups high-heat oil, for frying
In a bowl, whisk together water and baking soda. Stir in rice flour, sugar and salt to create a smooth batter. Fold in coconut flakes and sesame seeds.
Slice bananas lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
In a wok or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil to 375° F.
Working with a few banana slices at a time, dip slices into the batter and coat evenly. Remove from the batter and carefully lower banana slices into the hot oil. Fry until batter turns light golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes, turning as needed for even cooking. Drain banana slices on paper towels before serving immediately.
White sesame seeds may also be used, although the flavor is somewhat different.