- 1/4 cup turkey drippings (see note)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups turkey or chicken stock, at room temperature, plus additional as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Marsala, sherry or cider (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (optional)
Melt turkey drippings in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes.
Slowly whisk in room temperature stock, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. As sauce thins, add stock more quickly. Increase heat to medium and cook, whisking occasionally, until gravy has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Add up to 1/2 cup more broth to thin, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in optional flavorings. Serve warm or refrigerate up to 2 days. Reheat over low heat, stirring often, until warmed through.
Note: If you are preparing the gravy ahead of time, substitute 1/4 cup unsalted butter for turkey drippings.
Note: Feel free to substitute a gluten-free flour blend or white rice flour for the all-purpose flour. Avoid whole grains or high protein bread flours.