- 1 tablespoon higih-heat oil
- 1 1/2 pounds country-style pork spareribs
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tomato Lime Salsa (see below)
Tomato Lime Salsa
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onions
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 lime, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Heat oil in a heavy stove-top-to-oven pan over medium-high heat. Sear pork on both sides until deep golden brown. Surround with onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more to brown onions slightly. Stir in spices and cook for 30 seconds to bloom.
Add water and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is fork tender. Shred into large chunks removing any bone and excess fat. Keep pork warm in its cooking juices until ready to serve.
For Tomato Lime Salsa
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member