- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 pound delicata squash - cut in half, seeds removed and cut into half rings
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Tamarind Sauce, for serving
Heat a deep-sided sauté pan or a small, wide pot over medium-high heat. Add oil, butter, onions and a small pinch of salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add garbanzo beans and turn the heat up to high. Cook, stirring, until garbanzo beans are lightly browned in spots.
Add coriander, mustard, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne and stir for 1 minute. Add kale, squash, coconut milk and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook, slightly covered, for 15 to 20 minutes until squash is soft and kale is tender.
Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper and serve with Tamarind Sauce and rice.
Don’t Just Shop Your Values. Own Them.
When you’re a PCC member, your voice and your groceries go further — every purchase you make supports our community. Join our co-op today for a one-time fee of $60 and enjoy a lifetime of benefits, including exclusive offers and events, partner discounts with local businesses and more.Become a member