- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped (depending on how much you love garlic!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chopped chard or kale
- 1 cup fresh cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Heat oil over medium heat in a heavy soup pot. Cook onions, celery, garlic, fennel, carrots and thyme for about 5 minutes. Pour in stock and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts.
Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove chicken and cut into bite-size chunks. (They may still be a little pink inside but they will cook further.) Add chicken back to the pot along with chard or kale, tortellini and basil. Simmer for 10 minutes more or until tortellini are tender. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve grated Parmesan to sprinkle on top.