- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups chopped dark leafy greens (any type of kale, collards, beet greens or chard in any combination)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 cups loosely packed cooked pasta (such as penne or shell shapes)
- 2 to 3 Italian sausages, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans or your favorite
- 12 to 16 whole or coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a heavy, wide-bottom sauté pan (such as-you guessed it, cast iron…) heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add greens and garlic and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook greens until they begin to wilt but are still bright green. Sprinkle vinegar over the surface of the greens.
Stir in bell pepper strips and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in pasta, sausage, beans and basil leaves. Gently heat through.
Serve garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.