- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole spelt flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Mascarpone, syrup and toasted pecans, for serving (optional)
Preheat a waffle iron.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, spelt flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk. Blend the mixture into dry ingredients with a broad spatula or wooden spoon, stirring just until no streaks of flour remain. Stir in melted butter, being careful not to over mix. Gently fold in carrots, raisins and coconut.
Cook waffles according to the iron manufacturer’s instructions (usually about 1/2 cup batter and a 5 minute cooking time). Keep the waffles warm by placing them on a warm baking sheet in a 200° F oven while cooking remaining batter; to keep them crisp, don’t cover them. Serve with mascarpone, syrup and pecans.