- 1 cup unbleached, unrefined sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups nuts
Combine 1/4 cup sugar with butter or coconut oil, salt, spices and water in a skillet. Simmer until sugar has dissolved. Add nuts; stir and toast for about 15 minutes until lightly caramelized.
When toasted, add remaining sugar and mix. Let cool, then store in an airtight container or bag.