- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup capers
- 6 ounces green Sicilian olives, pitted
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound chopped eggplant
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, crushed
- Pinch of salt
In a saucepan, simmer potatoes in water to cover until tender. Drain and cool, then peel and dice.
In a large sauté pan on medium-low heat, add 1/3 cup olive oil, onions, capers and olives. Cook for 1 minute; add peppers and eggplant. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and tomatoes. Bring to boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Add potatoes and tomatoes to the saucepan with cooked vegetables, adding a pinch of salt. Turn off the heat and let sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to develop. Serve warm or at room temperature with crusty bread.