- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces (about 1 cup) Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cold water
- 2 cups (16 ounces) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) kale or collard greens, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the chorizo and cook until lightly browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to a plate. Drain well. Add the onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more until fragrant.
Stir in the potatoes, add the water and broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce the heat so the soup gently simmers. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. When the caldo verde is cool enough to handle, purée it using a countertop blender or immersion blender.
Add the kale to the soup, bring everything back to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. Season with more salt, if needed, and white pepper. Ladle the caldo verde into bowls and garnish with slices of chorizo and extra olive oil.