- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (25-ounce) cans black beans (about 5 cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt, to taste
- Lime wedges
- 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves picked from stems
- Whole milk yogurt (optional)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and butternut squash cubes. Sauté until onions are translucent, 7 to 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper and tomato paste. Let simmer for at least 25 to 30 minutes, until squash can be pierced easily with a fork.
Taste and add more cayenne pepper and salt, if desired.
Serve with a squeeze of lime, a sprinkling of cilantro and a dollop of yogurt.